I am suffering!
Yes. I have the worst hangover I have experienced in a while…and it has nothing to do with alcohol and EVERYTHING to do with carbs and sugar! The worst of it is, I can’t blame anyone but myself!
C and I had a dinner party on Saturday night at our place, it was a casual and informal event for a group of people and we wanted to serve something that was quick and easy to make. Although we haven’t eaten pasta in month, we both thought that this would be a good option. I would make a lovely ragu, we will serve our guests pasta and C and I will eat cabbage noodles….
Well, what can I say. On the evening itself, things didn’t go as planned, time got the better of me and to make my life easier, I ended up eating pasta myself. I ate a small plate, as I did not want to over do it, and then enjoyed the evening with my friends (it was delicious by the way!).
However, no matter how delicious that pasta was on Saturday, it was not worth the way I felt on Sunday morning and today. My head feels like it is in a thick fog or cloud, my sinuses feel blocked and I have a headache that just won’t leave me – not to mention I am craving chocolate like nobodies business! It truly feels as though I have a terrible hangover!
I did some research on the web today on carb hangovers, but I really didn’t come across a lot of useful information. However, I did find some ‘remedies’ in regards to what to do if you have a Carb or Sugar hangover. I don’t know how effective they really are, but this is the information I found:
1. Drink plenty of water: Try to flush out all the toxins that are now in your body.
2. Exercise: Move your body, try to burn the carbs you have eaten so you can go back to burning fat instead.
3. Eat lots of fat and protein during the day: Because you have been on a sugar high, your body will be CRAVING sugar again, so if you keep yourself full, you might be able to control your cravings slightly better.
4. Take supplements: Apparently Chromium picolinate, glutamine and carnitine are good for curing the crave for sugar.(I don’t really know how I feel about this one!)
5. Hang on in there! The sugar can take up to 12 to 48 hours to flush through your body!
Well – I don’t know how much I believe in any of these remedies – with the exception of taking supplements, they are all pretty straight forward and quite frankly none of them has worked…apart from the 5th one…Yes, I’m still hanging on in there…I have no other choice!?
I really can’t get over how my body has reacted to the pasta on Saturday night. It has also made it very clear to me, that if I really want to live the LCHF lifestyle, I have to commit to it 100%. I can’t have cheat days, or cheat meals as apparently my body is not able to process it when I do. Quite frankly, no cheat meal is that good to feel this bad!
Has any of you ever had a carb/sugar hangover, and if so – what are your cures?!