When I first started reading about LCHF there was so much information out there, that I found myself rather confused. Is LCHF the same as Paleo? What about Paleo and Ketogenic? What on earth is Ketogenic, it sounds scary?
After months of reading up on LCHF, it seems slightly clearer to me – but sometimes I still have trouble defining the lines! However, if you are new to the world of LCHF or if you are just trying to find a diet that suite you, hopefully this post can shed some light on what can be a rather confusing topic, and point you in the right direction!
First let’s start with the easiest one.
LCHF diet vs Ketogenic Diet
As I understand it – they are two different names for exactly the same thing!! Whether you are on a LCHF diet or a Ketogenic diet, you are eating a LOW CARBOHYDRATE, HIGH FAT diet.
I’m not sure why 2 different names have developed to talk about the same thing, but my personal opinion is the a Ketogenic diet sounds more professional and scientific compared to the acronym LCHF! Yet, at the same time I like how straight forward and approachable the name LCHF is. It does exactly what it says on the tin! There is no confusion – it is a Low Carb High Fat diet!
LCHF Diet vs Paleo Diet
There is far more confusion on this topic, primarily because there is so much overlap. So let’s start with what they both have in common:
Both LCHF and Paleo believe the following:
- Our modern diet that is heavy in refined foods, trans fats and sugars are the root causes of the degenerative diseases that we see are rampant in today’s society. Diseases such as obesity, diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
- They both focus on the consumption of natural unprocessed food. The type of food that our ancestors ate and the type of food our body knows how to process.
- Both diets are lifestyle choices. They are not ‘fad’ diets or ‘lose weight quick’ diets – but rather a way of life.
- Both diets exclude grain in all form – rice, pasta, bread, wheat, flour, quinoa etc etc.
- Both diets exclude legumes
- Both diets are rich in animal protein
However it is when you come down to the nitty gritty of what you can and cannot eat where you will see the main difference between LCHF and Paleo:
- Carbohydrates and starches
- LCHF – Obviously the name says it all. You aim to consumer very low amounts of carbohydrates. 50g a day is the absolute maximum carbs allowed (and that is being very liberal). This means all fruit are off limits and certain vegetables (especially root vegetables) are limited.
- Paleo – Like it’s name implies, it focuses on food that our ancestors ate before the introduction of agriculture. However there is no restriction on carbs as long as they are not starchy carbs such as potatoes, or food that a hunter/gatherer could not get a hold of.
- LCHF – not only includes dairy products in their diet but embraces it! Especially products such as cream, yoghurt and cheese – just make sure they are full fat products, and stay away from anything low fat!
- Paleo – does not allow dairy.
- Saturated Fat
- LCHF – very important to the diet. As consumption of carbs are so low, saturated fat is the primary source of energy.
- Paleo – although saturated fat is not restricted, it does not seem to be as an important ingredient in the diet as LCHF.
As I have mentioned before on my blog – I am not an LCHF expert! I am definitely not a Paleo expert and more importantly I am not a nutritional expert. The information I am providing you today, is information to help you make your own decision and help distinguish between two similar types of thinking!
Hopefully I have shed some light onto what can be a rather daunting and intimidating topic! But I am a firm believer in doing your own research and seeing what diet suites you best. Try them both if you need to. I do not believe that one is better than the other, but its important to know the difference🙂